Thursday 17 November 2016

Sparkles in the dark

When we're going after something we want and it doesn't seem to be working out: a good job, a new house, a decent relationship or whatever, we get discouraged.  Sure, I'm the same way but I've learned something.

This might sound a little weird but I'll try my best to explain: often, when it's taking too long, the Universe sends us tiny little sparkles of positivity in the midst off all the shit going on, messages that good things are on the way.  But we're usually too negative to notice them, or fail to see what they have to do with anything.  We need to focus on these little sparkles, because they show us the possibilities available if we choose to keep going.

One example: a few years back I started a job at a call centre where you call people up and conduct surveys.  They did reviews every six months and if you managed to get a lot of surveys done, you got a raise.  You started on minimum wage and but could go way up, and I wanted that.

When I started, I sucked.  Everyone hung up on me, I got nothing.  The supervisors told me my voice sounded awkward and didn't "flow" right.  I felt stupid.  Then we got stuck on a really rough study- we had to try and get people to do a 45-minute survey about what kind of laundry detergents they used.  It was really important so they told us to get as many as possible.  On the first day of it I got hung up on and yelled at for two hours straight.  I wondered what the hell I was even doing there.

Then, eventually, a lady answered "Hello?" in a nice voice.  I told her about the study and she went "Oh neat!  I've always wanted to do one of these survey things!" But when I told her it was 45 minutes she told me "Sorry but I have to make supper for my kids.  If it was five or ten minutes I could, but I don't have the time.  But good luck okay?"

At first I was pissed off but then an inner voice told me: "PEOPLE ARE SHOWING INTEREST.  That's a good thing.  If you keep calling, you'll find more." The guy beside me had the same experience and I tried to tell him what I thought and he was just like "What the hell does that have to do with anything?  That's stupid."

So I kept at it for another three hours.  Nothing.  But I kept thinking of that lady and knew they were out there.  Eventually I got one.

Over that week I managed to get plenty done.  I'd start off every shift thinking of her and envisioned myself as having already had five surveys done today so I was off to a good start. When the reviews came, I got raise after raise.  I went from minimum wage to being one of the highest earners.  I always got a lot done after that and out of the 200-something people working there, I got put into a special group as one of the top ten best interviewers in the company.

The other dude was still stuck on minimum wage.  He said "You're making more than me!  It's not fair!" It was totally fair.  I saw the little sparkles of positivity and invited them in, even thought it looked like nothing to anyone else.  And that "nothing" ended up a great big "Something". So there's my advice, always look for those little "sparkles" when things aren't working out.

You've been dating but are still single?  Focus on the people showing enough interest to spend time with you.  You've got something going on.  Find some more.

You're an artist who hasn't sold a painting?  Think of all the people who stopped by to admire your work.  They could've just walked past and totally ignored you but they didn't.  That says something.

You don't have a job yet?  What about the things the interviewers said they liked about you, and what about all those times you got called back by places that call "selected applicants only"?

You haven't made it as a rockstar yet?  Think of all those people cheering and moshing at those open mic nights.  You know you've got talent.

Whatever the situation, keep your spiritual and natural eyes open, and you'll see what you need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment